If you're in the market for a new water heating system, you've no doubt considering whether to opt for one of the new tankless water heating systems. While such systems help save energy (and thus energy dollars), there are still many good reasons for replacing your water tank with another, similar system. Traditional water heating systems still have a lot to offer homeowners, particularly those with large families.
Benefits of sticking with a traditional water heating system
1. (All but) instant hot water. Because a water tank has hot water at the ready, this type of system offers near instant hot water. Conversely, a tankless system has to heat the water on demand, a process that leads to a delay in getting the hot water to the faucet.
2. Ability to handle multiple demands well. A hot water tank is designed to deliver heated water to whatever faucet or appliance that demands it, whether that's a single faucet or a whole houseful of water demands. A tankless system performs best when there are only one or two demands for hot water at the same time.
3. Less expensive. A traditional water tank system is dramatically less expensive than a tankless system. According to "Consumer Reports" magazine, the average water tank system costs between $300 and $480. A tankless system averages between $800 and $1,150.
Disadvantages to a traditional water heating system
1. Finite amount of hot water. Of course, one of the major drawbacks of a water tank is that there is a set amount of hot water available at any given time. Use all of the water in the tank and you have to wait for more water to be heated. A tankless system offers unlimited hot water.
2. Takes up a lot of space. A water tank is also bulky and takes up a lot of space in your basement or utility room.
3. Uses energy to heat water 24/7. Lastly, a traditional water tank uses energy 24/7 to keep hot water ready to use, even while you're at work or asleep. The U.S. Department of Energy estimates that switching to a tankless system will save the average family $100 annually on their energy bills.
While a traditional water tank may not be the right water heating system for every household, such systems are far from passe. A traditional water tank is affordable and offers nearly instant hot water, among other benefits. Don't discount such a system without careful consideration.
For more information, contact Clearwater Plumbing or a similar company.